January 13, 2017
It’s finally Friday. We have only one week remaining before the inauguration of the new administration, and today the House is expected to follow up on the Senate’s initial steps for repealing the Affordable Care Act through the budget process. Meanwhile, President Obama announced his intentions to eliminate the “wet foot, dry foot” policy distinguishing Cubans from other Hispanic immigrants and surprised Vice President Joe Biden by presenting him with a Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Anyway, have a great weekend and check out our preview of the divisional round of the NFL playoffs.
It’s All About the Rematches in the Divisional Roundmedium.com
The Wonks Team
Politics and Public Policy
- The Department of Justice inspector general will investigate the conduct of FBI director James Comey duirng his probe into Hillary Clinton’s private email server and his decision to send a letter to Congress regarding additional emails, the Washington Post reports.
The Department of Justice Inspector General will review broad allegations of misconduct involving the FBI's…www.washingtonpost.com
- The New York Times reports on Ben Carson’s confirmation hearing for Housing and Urban Development Secretary, explaining his opposition to the agency’s mission and purpose to alleviate the effects of poverty that contrasts starkly to his own life story.
Yet Americans had come to view HUD's mission as "putting roofs over the heads of poor people," Mr. Carson said. "It has…www.nytimes.com
Business and Entertainment
- Bloomberg News profiles Netflix’s strategy to expand original programming in foreign markets — particularly Brazil — and how it led to the company’s installation of broadband infrastructure to meet the demands of the company’s more affluent audiences.
If the star-crossed characters on Latin American telenovelas can be relied on for one thing, it's to make ill-advised…www.bloomberg.com
Health and Obamacare
- NPR Health lists six lesser-known policies under the Affordable Care Act that would disappear under a repeal, including calorie counts at chain restaurants, financial accountability rules for nonprofit hospitals, and therapy coverage for children.
The outcome of the repeal-and-replace Obamacare debate could affect more than you might think, depending on just how…www.npr.org
- The Upshot Blog evaluates the Republican plans to replace Obamacare, noting the conflicting nature between reducing government spending on health care to lowering insurance costs for individuals.
Premiums for health insurance plans in the United States are high and rising. And increasing deductibles can make…www.nytimes.com
- Charlotte Wilder writes in SB Nation about the unique connection between the New England Patriots to Donald Trump that separates the Patriots from other NFL teams, along with anecdotes on its effects on New England fans.