May 25, 2017
It’s Thursday. Yesterday the Congressional Budget Office released its assessment of the Republican health care proposal, finding that the bill passed by the House at the beginning of the month would reduce insurance coverage for 23 million Americans while cutting the deficit by $119 billion over the next decade. In other headline news, more stories leaked involving Russia, President Trump, and the FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails that you can read about below.
Elsewhere, British troops made several raids and arrests of individuals wanted in connection to Monday’s bombing in Manchester and the Montana Republican candidate for Congress received misdemeanor assault charges for attacking a reporter who asked him for his opinion on the CBO’s analysis of the GOP health care plan.
As per usual, good luck on the day ahead and thanks for checking out Wonks This Way.
The Wonks Team
Politics and Public Policy
- The Washington Post reports that Russian intelligence released a possibly falsified document to the FBI last summer that influenced former FBI director James Comey’s decision-making during his investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server.
In the midst of the 2016 presidential primary season, the FBI received a purported Russian intelligence document…www.washingtonpost.com
- The New York Times reports on the interception by U.S. intelligence of calls from Russian operatives discussing how to influence Donald Trump through his advisors General Michael Flynn and former campaign chairman Paul Manafort.
The information collected last summer was considered credible enough for intelligence agencies to pass to the F.B.I.…www.nytimes.com
Business and Economy
- The New York Times analyzes how China’s debt-financed construction boom caused the country’s recent credit downgrade from Moody’s and the fears its raises for investors on the stability of the global economy as well as China’s economic growth rate.
China's addiction to debt traces back to the global financial crisis in 2008. As world growth faltered, China unleashed…www.nytimes.com
Science and Health
- The Atlantic writes about how researchers traced the origins of the Zika virus along with its spread across the Americas and entry into the U.S. in 2014, prior to the viral outbreak of Zika in Brazil back in the summer of 2015.
The virus showed up months-or even years-before anyone realized it was there. And Miami proved to be the perfect…www.theatlantic.com
- Bleacher Report profiles the Golden State Warriors on how they earned and embraced their reputation as NBA villains for a handful of infamous plays in the postseason and how their hardened attitude puts them in line with past NBA champions.
All it took was one swing of one foot to change the history of the NBA. Draymond Green, driving to the hoop with…bleacherreport.com
- Terry Gross of “Fresh Air” from NPR interviews comedian Aziz Ansari about the second season of his Netflix series “Master of None” as well as on his comedy career, his relationship with his family, and hosting “Saturday Night Live.”