November 15, 2016
It’s Tuesday. We’re squarely in the middle of the month and Thanksgiving is just nine days away. Yesterday, President Obama made his first post-election press conference before embarking on what should be his final foreign trip as U.S. president. Meanwhile, New Zealand continues to deal with the cleanup and aftershocks of the earthquakes that struck the nation over the weekend.
Anyway, good luck with the day ahead and enjoy the articles linked below.
The Wonks Team
- Gwen Ifill, news anchor and longtime contributor to PBS’ NewsHour, died yesterday at age 61; read her obituary from The Washington Post here.
Gwen Ifill, who wrote for some of the country's premier newspapers before transitioning to broadcast journalism and…www.washingtonpost.com
- FiveThirtyEight analyzes the role of the federal government in stimulating energy companies, including firms producing fossil fuels, as well as the economic consequences of curtailing government subsidies to renewable energy companies.
Donald Trump called renewable energy "really just an expensive way of making the tree-huggers feel good about…fivethirtyeight.com
Business and Economy
- The New York Times reports on the impending exit of Mary Jo White from her role as the chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission along with expected vacancies on additional financial regulatory agencies heading into a Trump administration.
Wall Street regulators began an exodus from Washington on Monday as Mary Jo White, the chairwoman of the Securities and…www.nytimes.com
- Bill Barnwell of ESPN examines role of the offensive line in facilitating a football team’s offense and argues why he thinks the NFL should give special consideration to the Dallas Cowboys’ O-line for MVP rather than presenting the award to an individual player.
9:00 AM ET Bill BarnwellESPN Staff Writer Close Bill Barnwell is a staff writer for ESPN.com. Ezekiel Elliott has been…www.espn.com
- The Atlantic’s TV critic David Sims reflects on the recent plot twist from Sunday’s episode of “Westworld” and what the episode’s reveal conveys about the show’s views of humanity and self-awareness.