These stuffed zucchini rolls are a healthy and tasty way to make use out of the bountiful zucchini from your garden! They make an impressive appetizer, light lunch or a side dish. Prepare the filling by boiling potatoes and cooking the onions. The zucchini can be sliced with a mandolin or peeler, brushed with olive oil and baked on a baking sheet. The cooked potatoes are mashed and combined with sautéed onions, grated Mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, fresh chopped parsley-seasoned to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Delicately rolled and baked to perfection, irresistibly delicious in every bite. It’s simple, kid-friendly and grown-up approved with fresh ingredients and flavour.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 20 zucchini rolls
4 zucchini, about 20 lengthwise slices
5 small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 small Spanish onion, diced
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
Extra virgin olive oil for brushing and drizzling
175 g Mozzarella (½ ball), grated
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Peel and cut potatoes into small evenly-sized chunks.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm for about 15 minutes and drain. Place in a medium-size bowl, mash with a fork until smooth and creamy. Set aside to cool.
- In a small skillet, over medium heat with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, add diced onions. Cook until tender and translucent, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the two ends from the zucchini and discard. With a mandolin or peeler, slice zucchini lengthwise to expose the inside of the vegetable.
- Lightly brush both sides of the zucchini slices with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven until tender enough to roll for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine sautéed onions, freshly chopped parsley, grated Parmesan and half of the grated Mozzarella to mashed potato bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x9-inch casserole dish with olive oil, sprinkle the bottom of the dish with breadcrumbs. Spoon one teaspoon of potato mixture evenly along with zucchini slice; roll and place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining zucchini slices and filling.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining grated Mozzarella and place into the oven for 20 minutes until zucchini rolls are lightly golden and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
You can accompany these irresistible Stuffed Zucchini Rolls with some Breaded Veal Cutlets for a mouth-watering meal.