Earthlings, August was an amazing month. It is now over — it’s time for September to begin! There is so much exciting news that it’s rather difficult to even choose a starting point, but I suppose the best place to begin is at the beginning. As August dawned, the plucky WIPP team knew it had two directions to build in: the PAGE token and the NFTBook Bazaar marketplace. There are too many new developments to even attempt to explain at length so I’ll just make a short annotated list here and try to give each of these major developments a treatment of its own.
- We hit a few snags with the NFTBook Bazaar and decided to re-envision the enterprise from the ground up, but we’re aiming to have the new concept in testnet by the end of September so please don’t fret if this is the WIPP product you’ve been holding out for — the only reason we ever delay delivery is to ensure the best quality for users.
- The Ethereum-PAGE liquidity pool now has over $65,000 in TVL! What’s more, we project it will continue to grow as additional DAO Drop recipients and other community members find a way to get involved and reap the sweet, sweet liquidity mining incentives outlined in our whitepaper here (don’t forget to pick up your free copy when gas goes down!).
- The largest of shout-outs are due to our friends at Cent and Cryptowriter for taking a massive risk and adding liquidity to our pool for the PAGE/ETH pair on Uniswap V2. Please, go check out these platforms. They support writers and creators and, whoever you are, if you’re enjoying this article there is an excellent chance of you getting a good deal of value from engaging with both of them. I love them so much that the next two items on this list are actually news about their projects (these are still huge WIPP happenings though!).
- Cent (https://beta.cent.co) was the first platform to get me to finally lean all the way into blockchain by allowing me to earn Ethereum when I made posts people liked. I started there at the end of 2019 and the support I received for my creative work (including publishing a book to their platform, then later minting it as an NFT) absolutely changed my life. After changing Twitter forever by allowing people to bid on Tweets, the team at Cent have recently added functionality to the platform, allowing Cent to claim the title: they are the first social media platform to allow people to mint NFTs to the blockchain natively. First social media platform to mint NFTs honorable mention: Voice.com, which launched this capability on 8/31/2021. View the Bring Back Satire I minted to Voice’s blockchain here, or, if you really like recursion, view a PDF of this article I minted to Voice here.
- Cryptowriter launched CryptoFinney packs to massive demand from a growing audience. Personally, I have a longstanding relationship with Cryptowriter, so it’s lovely to see them succeed. 2020 was a long year full of growth, but I didn’t really kick into high gear until I had started writing articles and talking blockchain philosophy with Kenny, Sean, and the rest of the gang. By the time CryptoFinney launched, I had largely pulled back to spend my time inventing the standard for books on Web3.0; but Kenny and Sean have been stellar to work with and even allow me to still write from time to time. If you’re not already subscribed to Cryptowriter on Substack, you’re missing out! I even got to start a new Writer.io magazine! Check it out: Cosmoswriter.
- The TokenSmart audience for the WIPP Show (Wednesdays from 12:30–1:30 PM CST here) is growing, and we’ve spun Pass The Pen off into its own TokenSmart show on Fridays from 12:30–1:30 PM CST in the same Discord. That’s not all, however, as Rare Pizzas has generously chosen to sponsor 3 $25 pizza grants to be paid to the most outstanding contributors to the story each week! We’ll be offering $PAGE incentives as well, so don’t be shy: come to the Work in Progress Publishing Discord server here to participate and earn some delicious rewards.
- WIPP partnered with Cipher Collectible Hip Hop to throw a massive Poetry Slam party at which dozens of people (almost 3 dozen!) contributed to a truly unforgettable event in which a capella flows became just as unforgettable as the beat-driven performances for which Cipher is becoming famous throughout the metaverse. Scope out Cipher for yourself at their Discord server here. Purchase Cipher NFTs via the Cipher Marketplace here.
- A WIPP Original Program: Misfortune Mondays got off to a rocking start as WIPP’s very own Philip Loyd spun the concept up from idea to successful event (over 100 submissions the first week alone!) with assists from Carolina and Robbie. The basic concept? Fortune cookies with messages you would definitely not want to find after a meal. Each theme runs for a week, and at the end prizes are given out to the most misfortunate contributions.
There was more notable news, of course. Ethereum is struggling to keep up with extraordinary demand from OpenSea, which has been using around 20% of the total throughput capacity the network possesses for what suddenly feels like an eternity as gas prices exceed 100 GWEI and hover there.
Rarible has released a great deal of code to the open source community, delighting Ethereum developers everywhere. We can’t say exactly what we’re working on there quite yet, but follow along to find out!
We’re also keeping busy with respect to projects, as a number of DAOs and other blockchain-oriented organizations have come to us to help with writing up content for their NFT projects and otherwise. I can assure you, the full might of the WIPP Dev Team is behind the PizzaDAO Book of 10,000 covers at this time — that’s right, we’re doing the most insane art book that has ever existed together.
The wonderful thing about working in this space is that people are generally friendly and everyone from MaskDAO to LADz City to the Bored Ape Yacht Club is more than welcome to be a part of what we’re up to here. Just get in touch with us and we’ll help find the fit!
WIPP offers a number of live programs throughout the week in a variety of forums around the metaverse. If you’re reading this, we’d love to meet you. Just drop in to one of our events and say hi!
Here is a short list of ongoing programs to choose from, should you feel compelled to get involved:
1. EpicDylan’s Crypto Chat (featuring yours truly, doing cryptocurrency market analysis!): Monday and Friday from 9:30 to 9:50 AM, CST in the WIPP Live section of the WIPP Discord.
2. Misfortune Mondays (featuring Philip Loyd, WIPP’s COO): Monday from 4:00 to 5:00 PM, CST in WIPP Live.
3. Twitter Spaces: Tuesdays from 7–9PM CST via https://twitter.com/wippublishing.
4. TokenSmart WIPP (featuring Ezincrypto and Jimmy Waters): Wednesdays from 12:30 PM CST to 1:30 PM CST in the TokenSmart Discord.
5. Pass the Pen: Fridays from 12:30–1:30 PM CST in the TokenSmart Discord.
We have a number of other projects going on both asynchronously via text in the Discord server or with smaller teams and more in-depth projects. If you have a great blockchain project you’d like to share with us, perhaps you’d even make a great guest for one of the shows! I’d love to see Al Pompliano come to EpicDylan’s Crypto Chat at some point, for example.
In any case, I need to get some rest… but I’d like the record to show that this WIPP Monthly went out on the FIRST of the month in question, a first in itself!