Antonio Sabado, the now CEO and I started putting together ideas for an online talent marketplace for the blockchain space back in 2018 and lot’s has happened since then. But why start this in the first place?
Before building a blockchain, the first problem that most companies have is WHO is going to help them build their blockchain. Due to its recent explosion in demand, and highly technical nature this is a difficult bridge to cross. This is the problem that we saw in the blockchain space, Antonio as a recruiter, community builder and educator and myself as a blockchain dev and educator. It was and still is in everyone’s face.
Despite not looking for work, and having the title on my Linkedin as “Blockchain Developer, MSc Imperial College, CTO at Work on Blockchain. NO RECRUITER CONNECTIONS!” I still get many requests per week for people needing blockchain talent.
The second reason we started Work on Blockchain was because of our position in the space, between the two of us (credit mostly to Antonio and his education programs and community support around Europe) we had a robust and passionate community of blockchain developers and technical people around us that wanted such a platform. We already had the community around us, we just had to empower them with an easier way to connect.
So we built workonblockchain.com, a bespoke candidate driven recruitment platform for the blockchain community.
The platform reflects our understanding of the blockchain space:
- Companies apply to the candidate, representing the power that the blockchain talent has in the blockchain space. We could have built ANOTHER jobs platform but that would not have reflected the supply and demand in the jobs market at the moment. A candidate driven platform is also much easier to manage for companies as there is a lot less noise.
- Developers are the most valuable people in the market. We offer training and events across Europe and support to communities worldwide and publish material for developers in our newsletters, blog and social media.
- It is blockchain only and focuses on technical talent, as that is the biggest problem for companies.
- We vet all companies and candidates to provide protection from scams, companies with no money yet and maintain quality. For candidates, we help set up your CV to maximize your visibility.
- Companies are free to search through our candidates and have no financial commitment till they make a hire.
We want to become the go-to place for companies to get help on their blockchain project. Right now the platform supports full and part-time hires but we know is also being used by freelancers successfully. In the future, we will be adding a lot more features so blockchain companies can find employees, freelancers and agencies for work on their projects.