Mar 7: TSM drop Fortnite pro after inappropriate messages, Russian Dota 2 players cleared for Kiev play and more on League of Legends’ Vaevictis ruling
Hi all. It’s not been a good year for OpTic and Outlaws parent company Infinite Esports & Entertainment. TEO has an interview up with original founder Chris Chaney on how things got here and the company’s upcoming sale. Over on TL there’s a preview for the RO16 of StarCraft II’s GSL which I enjoyed, having been left rather hyped for more games by IEM. There also appears to be something shady going on in League of Legends’ EBL. And then..
TSM drop Fortnite pro after inappropriate messages surface
Esports organization Team SoloMid have released Fortnite player Cowboy, after accusations surfaced of him sending inappropriate messages to an underage streamer. These somehow ended up with fellow streamer Faith, who read them live, because that’s what you do. Cowboy has denied the allegations, before deleting his Twitter and Discord.
Russian Dota 2 pros cleared for Kiev play
Yesterday it was reported that several participants of today’s Dota 2 Minor in Kiev were denied entry into Ukraine. Organizer StarLadder has now announced that, after preparing for emergency solutions like letting them play remotely under supervision of a referee, the group has been allowed to attend in person after all.
More information on Vaevictis ruling surfaces
There’s a little more information on Riot Games’ competitive ruling against LCL team ROX for their behavior while playing female squad Vaevictis Esports. According to a league official, the warning was not issued for ROX’s banning of support champions only, which was originally thought to have been seen as a sign of disrespect. Rather, the language used in comms during the match is said to have been deemed inappropriate for a professional environment.
PandaTV filing for bankruptcy?
Founded by Invictus Gaming’s owner, Chinese streaming platform PandaTV is rumored to be shutting down. The service has reportedly seen its userbase decline from 80 to 16.8 million in less than a year and is said to be in financial peril. No official statements have been made yet, however.
China to establish esports work council
Also in China, its Internet Association is working with the country’s government to create an esports work council. The goal of this new body would be to promote, reinforce and standardize the nation’s esports industry. The news comes after several esports-related professions were officially recognized by the Human Resources Ministry last month.
- The Overwatch League has revealed the format for its Stage 1 Playoffs. They will open into best-of-fives on March 21 and 22, following with best-of-seven semis and finals on the 23rd and 24th. The $500,000 USD total series will be televised by ABC.
- Esports organization mTw and Thermaltake are teaming up for a Warcraft 3 tournament. It will be held in Berlin April 6th and 7th and sport a €5,000 prize pool. Qualifiers will be held over the coming month.
Call of Duty
- Excelerate Gaming release roster
- SpaceLy benched by Gen.G
- missharvey parts ways with Counter Logic Gaming
- solo and glow depart MVP PK
- mason to Infamous
- Team SoloMid drop Cowboy (see above)
League of Legends
- huhi to play for 100 Thieves’ academy team
- 7Teen signs to Team Liquid as coach