Conflict in Marawi leaves thousands displaced

The violence is over, but uncertainty for families remains.

Lotlot Cezar
Nov 1, 2017 · 4 min read

“Our lives as evacuees is tough. What really hurts me the most is seeing my children and wife suffer from sickness, sleepless nights, and a lack of food. I pray and hope that we can go back home and start anew,” said 40-year old, Tingki Dalidig, a farmer from Barangay (village) Malimono, Marawi City.

Image for post
Image for post
Tingki Dalidig with his wife, daughter and his grandchildren. Photo: WFP/Marilou Cezar

On the evening on 23 May 2017, violence erupted in Marawi City when ISIL fighters clashed with government forces. Martial law was declared across the island of Mindanao, and since then more than 78,000 families have fled to safety in neighbouring provinces.

Tingki’s family was one of those who left, and more than five months later they cannot return home due to wide-spread damage to homes, schools and infrastructure. For displaced families, temporary accommodation remains their only option.

“I remembered that horrible day when we were forced to evacuate our homes by the military due to the intensifying conflict and loud sounds of bombs and gun fires,” Tingki said.

Image for post
Image for post
Tingki with his wife, Mona Bitor Dalidig. Photo: WFP/Marilou Cezar

“We brought nothing and we just walked in the rain for six hours. Instead of passing through the highway, we decided to take an alternative route through the forest to ensure our safety. When we safely reached the Municipality of Pantar, Lanao del Norte, we were lucky to be able to hop into a privately-owned truck bound for Iligan City,” Tingki said.

His family found safety at an evacuation centre, where they have remained. Although the violence has ended, families are scared to return home, and many don’t have homes to return to.

More than five months since the conflict began, Tingki and his family continue to live in the evacuation center. Before they started receiving assistance, they were worried they would run out of food. So they decided to eat only once or a maximum of twice a day, so that the food they had would last longer.

“I am fortunate that my family was included in the Philippine Government’s Disaster Assistance Family Access Card (DAFAC), so we can get relief assistance from both the government and private organizations,” Tingki said.

Image for post
Image for post
Tingki collects rice for his family from WFP. Photo: WFP/Marilou Cezar

World Food Programme, in partnership with the Department of Agrarian Reform in Lanao del Sur, responded immediately to the crisis by providing rice through general food distribution, targeting the Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries in Marawi, of which Tingki’s family is a recipient. His family received an allocation of 50kg of rice for a month.

“The rice we received from WFP is truly a big help to my family. Because of this, we no longer have to worry about what to eat,” Tingki said.

“Out of the 245 families situated in this evacuation center, only 100 families were issued the DAFAC, including Tingki’s family,” said Saida Sarip, a community volunteer assisting the internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Toril Madrasah Building. Many more require help before it’s safe for them to return home.

For displaced families such as Tingki’s, livelihoods are a priority as their displacement continues. “We cannot just sit here and wait for relief assistance to come, which is also not enough to address the other needs of our family, such as the education of our children,” Tingki further said.

Prior to the conflict, Tingki managed one hectare of land where he planted rice, corn and vegetables. He has lost about 3 metric tons as a result of the conflict, with an estimated value of PhP45,000 (USD $878). He hopes to be back this November for the planting season (October/November is planting season), but will need financial assistance to start planting again.

WFP is seeking support to organize short-term livelihood activities to help returnee families rebuild their lives and livelihoods.

Since the violence erupted, WFP has provided emergency food assistance to more than 90,000 people and school meals to 60,000 students to help them to stay in school.

WFP’s work in Marawi is made possible due to support from the Japanese and Australian Governments and the United States Agency for International Development’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance, who have provided logistical support.

Find out more about WFP’s work in the Philippines.

***

World Food Programme Insight

Insight by The World Food Programme

Medium is an open platform where 170 million readers come to find insightful and dynamic thinking. Here, expert and undiscovered voices alike dive into the heart of any topic and bring new ideas to the surface. Learn more

Follow the writers, publications, and topics that matter to you, and you’ll see them on your homepage and in your inbox. Explore

If you have a story to tell, knowledge to share, or a perspective to offer — welcome home. It’s easy and free to post your thinking on any topic. Write on Medium

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store