When you feel like you are missing a piece of the puzzle to a fuller and fulfill life
Be smarter than a fifth grader!! For a Less Stressful and fulfilled life, be true to yourself and checkout your emotions as you interact with others and modify if need be!
Just like life is compromised of your biological age verses your chronological age, alike you have an IQ and EQ that governs how you interact in all social environment and settings. While your chronological is less important compared to your biological age, equally your EQ outweighs your IQ when governing your life in a social setting.
Chronological age is the number of years a person is blessed to be alive, like my mother who is 93 years young. Also, biological age refers to how old a person seems. Even though my mother is 93 years old, she is 80 in her biological age. All of her vitals are good, blood pressure, cholesterol, no diabetes, heartrate and eyesight and is very active. She loves to go and enjoys being active. Note, all these are good qualities even though she has mild dementia and had a mini stroke. They have not been able to determine why she had a mini stroke. Her dementia, I feel, was brought on due to the stress of taking care of my father. She is a high functioning mild dementia 93 years young lady!
Also, using my mother as the perfect specimen to share with you when it comes to IQ and EQ, she is amazing. With a high school education she has a sufficient IQ while her EQ is through the roof! Since I was a child, I can remember how my mother would sprout wisdom to all in the proximity of her voice and always stayed calm in stressful situation. My mother’s EQ has got to be very high because she is very capable of maintain her calmness in a less calm environment. I guess her faith is an element of her being or remaining calm.
Organically she was born with what many of us may have to work on to achieve, a higher EQ. There are other factors of your life that makes you more wiser, smarter and capable, your IQ and EQ in all situations.
Your IQ is wonderful when taking a test of your knowledge but EQ is a bit different. EQ is useful when living your life to the fullest! EQ governs how you act and react in a social setting. While IQ can be measure but EQ, is not so easily measured. EQ, emotional intelligence is crucial to personal and professional success.
Emotional intelligence is how well you manage your own emotions and react to the emotions of others. The higher your EQ means you are more social and able to interact with others constantly in a positive manner and is able to manage conflict, understand and respond to the needs of others while keeping your own emotions from getting the better of you or out of control.
According to @DanielGoleman’s book, “Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ, our emotional intelligence is comprised of five key areas.
- Self-awareness — To thine own self be true. One must have the ability to know their own emotions, strengths and weaknesses, while recognizing their impact on others. Do you know your push buttons, before someone pushes them?
- Self-Management — Knowing how to control and/or redirect your disruptive emotions and impulses and adapt to changing circumstances. Do you see yourself getting upset on an airplane when a baby cries all night and redirect your thinking to not being upset? You are self-managing in a positive manner!
- Motivation — When you possess a high emotional intelligence, you are motivated by a sense of accomplishment, rather than a desire for external rewards, like money and status. Are you motivated to volunteer to help feed the homeless because it’s a good thing to do? If yes, you’re on the right track.
- Empathy — Very capable of considering other people’s feelings, during the decision making moments. Do you seek to understand another’s position in decision making? i.e. Your neighbor talks very loud all the time! Do you consider that maybe your neighbor has a hearing problem and readjust your decision making and/or complaint?
- Social Skills — Interacting with others is inescapable especially in the age of social media and community be it job, business, church or home. How well you handle yourself in various social settings determines how strong your social skills are. When someone writes a negative post on your profile, do you blow them out the water with your response, or do you consider your approach before confronting? Seeing your self, negative, change it too a positive.
In conclusion, sharpen your Emotional Intelligent and change your life for the better and others that you interact with. There are ways you can improve your emotional intelligence by first noting how you deal with your own emotions. Note how you handle stress in a stressful situation. Did you loose your cool or maintained your cool? Did you freak out or shut down? Did you remain calm and collected and proceeded to resolve? Understanding and seeing how you react in stressful situations, enable you to change your ways if you don’t like what you see. Seek trusted people’s opinion of you at your best and worst, doing this will afford you to make changes in your emotional life that will not only affect you but others interacted with. If you don’t like it, change it! Having a high IQ is an asset, but having a high EQ is priceless!!
For additional reads:
How to See the Past as a Gateway to the Future
Letting go of what is no longer in your control to change
How to Dream Big and Succeed
Believing in your self is the first step toward success and the second step is casting your cares on God