Benjamin Franklin: “If you would not be forgotten, as soon as
you are dead and rotten; either write things worth the reading,
or do things worth the writing.”
Many people think that is easy to become an author. Well, this is a fallacy. There is a lot of effort that goes into becoming an author of repute. Authors are not made, they make themselves by the manner in which they write their books or the other works of art. It is common to see many authors give up writing after just a few books. Well, what are some of the things that can make one a prolific writer? What are you supposed to do so that you can achieve the kind of author status that you want?
Here are some of the things that one needs to do:
- Routine and Outline- this means that one needs to create a routine of writing. You have to write daily, or at least ensure that you write frequently. Writing has to do with the habit and the more you write with time, the better you become. It is true that you will be more creative if you write on a frequent basis. You also need to outline what you want to write. One needs to ensure that they have mapped out what idea they want to put across. This is much more suitable for the writers of nonfiction works than those who write fiction. The outline helps you to do some organizes writing tasks and also helps you to remember what you need to have in your book or essay.
- The First Draft- this is the original item you write out of the outline that you made above. This should just flow naturally and you should not worry about the editing. Just let the content flow from your mind to your paper. The content should flow without any sensor. This way, you can be sure that you have not forgotten anything that you wanted to write. When it comes to editing, this should be done much later, a time when you will be doing the final content for your book.
- Rewriting- after you have done the first draft, the next step will be rewriting the work. This does not have to be done right away. Rather, take a rest, may be 24 hours, or even days or weeks. This I one of the best way through which you will be able to make corrections and even additions to your work. The long rest enables your mind to have fresh content or even fresh eyes! Assess your work and do not let your inner self convince you that what you have done is nor right enough. It may look horrible for you but when another person reads it, you will be assured that you have done great content.
- Gain confidence and read more-if for instance one wants to write about science fiction, then they may have to do some research or even read books that have this particular kind of content. You will need to be confident in the whole process and believe that what you are doing is the best that you can output. When you repeat these steps, then you should definitely improve your writing skills.
For most businesses, generating leads is the ultimate benefit of creating and maintaining a social media presence. But first things first. In order to make social media an effective lead generation machine, you first need to generate a following — fans for your Facebook page, followers for your Twitter account and LinkedIn company page, etc.
The more fans and followers you have for your social media presence, the better reach you’ll have. And better reach means the potential to generate more leads! So at the very core of social media for lead generation, you must take steps to increase your reach. To help you get started, here are 8 guaranteed ways to expand your social media reach.
Ways to Attract More Social Media Fans and Followers
1. Optimize Your Social Presence: First and foremost, you must make sure your presence is optimized. Make sure the bios/profiles for your social media accounts are complete and that they include clear and concise descriptions of your business, your company logo, and your website URL. And now that social media updates are included in search results, be sure you’re also optimizing your tweets, Facebook posts, and LinkedIn company status updates with keywords appropriate for your business, which could help you get found in search.
2. Promote Your Social Presence Everywhere: And by everywhere, we mean everywhere — on various pages of your website, on your blog, on signage in your storefront if you’re a local business, in print advertising, on your business cards, in your email marketing messages. Many social media sites now have official ‘follow’ buttons you can include on your website and blog. If not, you can create your own button and link it to your social media account. Twitter, for example, offers an official follow button that enables your site visitors to become a Twitter follower with just one click!
3. Share Useful, Valuable Content: It’s not just enough to promote your presence. You need to make your presence is something that’s worth following in the first place. Make sure your tweets, Facebook posts, and LinkedIn updates consist of valuable, useful, and engaging content. Avoid product-focused content, and instead, make your social updates consist of educational content that has the potential to attract more fans and followers. People follow brands in social media because they’re looking for something useful, not because they want to know about how great your products and services are.
4. Add Social Sharing Buttons to All Your Content:
Just as you should be promoting your social presence in as many places as possible, you should also be enabling your site visitors and email subscribers to share your content with their personal networks as easily as possible. Add social sharing buttons (e.g. “Share on Facebook” “Tweet This,” etc.) to all of your content — on individual blog articles, in email messages, on landing pages for ebook and webinar downloads, within the pages of your ebooks, etc. By evangelizing your audience to share your content, you’ll have better potential to reach a broader audience that extends beyong your direct network of fans and followers. And if those people like the content that their friends are sharing with them, they may be inclined to become direct followers of you, too!
5. Find, Follow, and Build Relationships With People In Your Industry: Use tools like Tweet Grader, Twitter Search, and Twellow to identify other Twitter users in your industry. Start following them, participating in discussions, and engaging in conversations. Find and follow other influential bloggers and retweet their content. Follow back anyone who follows you. Participate in Twitter chats and hashtag conversations like #yougottobetwittingme. Start following some of the people your followers (and the people you’re following) are following, too!
6. Interact With Fans and Followers: Just as you should be regularly sharing educational, insightful content, you should also be monitoring your presence and interacting with your fans and followers. Ask questions, be engaging, and participate in discussions to create a presence worth following.
7. Create a Custom Facebook Welcome Page: Follow this quick tutorial to create a custom Facebook landing page tab to welcome first-time visitors of your Facebook page. Set the page as your ‘Default landing Tab’ (you can do this when you’re editing your page under ‘Manage Permissions’), and use the tab to encourage new visitors to ‘like’ you right off the bat! Welcome App, which also presents visitors with a form that can convert them into leads directly within Facebook.)
8. Offer Incentives for New Fans/Followers: Make it so your social media presence is a must-follow. Research shows that 58% of Facebook users expect exclusive offers from business pages, so consider offering exclusive promotions and offers available only to your social media followers. Create a Facebook contest and make it a requirement for users to ‘like’ you in order to be eligible. Create an offer available only to Twitter followers that can’t be obtained elsewhere. Make it so that users need to follow you in order to receive specific perks.
Building your social media reach will take some time, but if you are committed to the steps above, we guarantee you’ll start seeing results. How else would you recommend increasing your social media reach?