Primer for Phoenix Startup Week 2018
Well, it is almost time for Startup Week or better described as Entrepreneur Christmas in Arizona! Last year I had my first taste of it and I could not be more excited to return for year two. If last year was a toe in the water then 2018 is the year of the headfirst plunge off an 80' cliff jump. I’m all in.
So if you are like me last year, then you are probably wondering “What is this thing?”, “Am I allowed to go?”, “Even if I don’t have a company?”, and “What would I do”? The answers are: free 5 day event for all things entrepreneurial, yes, definitely yes, take the leap and come out!
Let’s start by covering the basics:
- FREE 5 day event to connect, cultivate and celebrate entrepreneurs (2/19–2/23)
- Register for the event online and claim your spot
- Take it to the next level and volunteer to help
- Find out about all of the events at Startup Week
- Located entirely within downtown Phoenix and Chase Basecamp at George Washington Carver Museum
Now that we have that out of way, you are still definitely overwhelmed. Right? I understand.
How about we dig in and make this more consumable by finding some cool things to attend?
- Lunch — Yep, it’s free if you register. You will receive a token and get a free lunch onsite and this is not your elementary school cafeteria. We have some of the best food trucks in Arizona including United Lunchadores, Burger Passion, and Dk Dogs.
- 1 Million Cups — Every morning from 8–9 AM where local entrepreneurs present their startups including amazing organizations like Revolution Parts with $500m in eCommerce sales and professional soccer team Phoenix Rising.
- Founder F Ups — Find out the biggest “foul” ups from successful Arizona entrepreneurs. How often do you get to hear the authentic stories from successful people that screw up just like me and you? These include CEOs of AppointmentPlus, CO+HOOTS, and Coplex.
- Arizona Governor, Doug Ducey — When the governor makes time to speak, it must be important! Oh and if you had not heard, he knows a thing or two about running a business as the former CEO of Cold Stone Creamery.
- App Store and Billboard Chart Toppers — Learn about an award winning app disrupting the music industry from Erik Medelson and his co-founder Shawn Mims who knows about being #1 after he topped charts with “This Is Why I’m Hot”.
- Member of the Paypal Mafia — Jack Selby, former Vice President of PayPal, and a member of one of the most illustrious groups in tech startup history. I am willing to bet he has a good story or two for us to hear.
- Vertical Days — Do you geek out over a specific niche? How about AI/IOT, SaaS, MedTech, or Blockchain? If you do not get pumped up by one of those topics like it is the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, then honestly I just cannot help you.
It is 11 PM on a Friday night and I feel like I could keep writing this and just make commentary on the entire schedule because it looks amazing, but I should let you check out the schedule yourself.
Whether you have founded 5 companies, work at a small business, dream of starting your own company, or just get a kick out of watching Shark Tank then you need to be here.
You never know what could happen when you put entrepreneurial energy, crazy ideas, and some business geeks together.
Phoenix Startup Week 2018 could be the first day of the rest of your life. Come on Phoenix, Let’s make our mark.