Design Sprint 3: A Clear Path Forward

Introduction

For the third design sprint of the summer, team YASU began to solidify the direction of the project by using the learnings from earlier sprints. We began our final prototype and are incorporating an implementation plan in preparation for the final sprint and what we leave our client with at the end of the project.

Planning the Sprint

With sprint experience under our belts, we started off sprint 3 strong by aligning on our objectives and success metrics. Our success metrics are to:

  • Minimize staff members’ time spent on tasks
  • Increase member acceptance of support through a digital system

Our questions for Sprint 3 were:

  • How might notifications help increase member engagement with YASU programs?
  • Is there a structure/order of the exchange of information that minimizes operations for YASU staff?

These were the goals that we kept in mind while parallel sketching and making decisions on the concepts to include in the final prototype.

Making the End-to-End Prototype

YASU’s problem space has created an open sea for us to explore, which we did in sprints 1 and 2. We gained a lot of valuable insights from both users and our client (YASU staff members) that we used to put ourselves on track for the final stages of the project. To kick-off sprint 3, we decided on a few concepts to guide our prototype:

  • Scrolly-telling: explaining what information will be used for as the user is inputting it
  • Awareness of application (financial assistance, mentorship, etc.) status
  • Notifications of applications, events, and surveys at the top of a member profile page
  • Categorization of user data to provide recommendations first through logic, and possibly eventually AI
  • Digital tool/software integration (Salesforce, Calendly)

We then created a relatively high-fidelity end-to-end prototype of the mobile website and thus a solid picture of the entire user experience journey.

Key Findings

We conducted user testing with six young adult cancer survivors and co-survivors. We found that:

Finding 1: Users want options when it comes to notifications. They have an individual threshold for many texts or email notifications they like to receive.

Finding 2: Connecting with people similar to the survivor or co-survivor, feels more personal.

Finding 3: The experience should be more accessible and inclusive to all YA survivors and their co-survivors ( physical symptoms, health issues, motivation). This added on to the previous insight that the physical health and implications of being a young adult survivor influences every touchpoint the user has with the experience.

Finding 4: Transparency should take different forms based on stage.

Finding 5: Tone/Voice should be different based on the stage.

During this round of usability testing, we also heard things that validated the following earlier findings:

  • Users want to know exactly how their data is being used.
  • Users don’t like inefficiency or inconvenience when it comes to filling out data.
  • The physical health and implications of being a young adult survivor influences every touchpoint the user has with the experience.

Next Steps

As the end of our project draws ever closer, we’re planning on continuing with user testing and generating more insights to continue to finalize our prototype. We also plan to create a design system using components, variants, and auto-layout on Figma to allow for all hands on deck in finalizing the design. While we’re finishing things up with our project, we’re also beginning to work hard on our final report, website, and presentation. Look forward to the next post for finished products!

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store