Ravencoin Tutorial — KAWPOW mining
To prevent ASICs from dominating mining on the Ravencoin network, Ravencoin developers are working on a new mining algorithm, KAWPOW. KAWPOW is a derivative of ProgPOW with parameters specifically for Ravencoin. KAWPOW is the 3rd mining algorithm for Ravencoin and will not compare to X16R or X16Rv2 mining. On the contrary, AMD GPU mining will now also be a viable option.
UPDATE April 15th, 2020:
KAWPOW is now available on main net. You can find the source code and binaries at https://github.com/RavenProject/Ravencoin/releases. Make sure it’s version 4.1 or above to stay on the chain.
Development of KAWPOW took place at https://github.com/RavenCommunity. This GitHub repository contains resources for KAWPOW, X16Rv2, Pocketraven webwallet, and Ravennodes. The repository is currently managed by active Ravencoin community developers:
- Traysi, Ravencoin developer and owns minermore.com
- Blondfrogs, Ravencoin developer employed by mediciventures.com
- Under, Ravencoin developer and owns ravencoin.network
- Scotty, Ravencoin developer and owns ravencoin.asset-explorer.net
- MangoFarm, Ravencoin developer and owns mangofarmassets.com
- Push, Ravencoin developer and owns ravenland.org
- Jeroz, Ravencoin developer and owns ravennodes.com
- Pathfinder, Ravencoin community admin and meme artist :)
How to use KAWPOW
Currently, KAWPOW is active on Ravencoin TESTNET and you can try it out there. Testnet coins have no value and are purely intended for testing.
KAWPOW will be available on Ravencoin MAINNET on May 6th, 2020 at 18:00 UTC.
NOTE: since the KAWPOW open source miner is still in development, expect to run into errors. If you do, please report them on Discord in the #testnet channel or open an issue on the GitHub page.
- Open source mining software:
You need to have CUDA 10.2 installed for nvidia cards. For more in depth info on the miner, have a look at the README file.
- Testnet Pool mining:
kawpowminer -U -P stratum+tcp://USER.firstname.lastname@example.org:4505
- Wallet binaries:
Look up version 4.1 or higher binaries and use the one for your OS.
- For testing, you need to run this wallet in testnet mode:
- Create a shortcut of raven-qt.exe
- Right click the shortcut, choose properties
-testnetat the end of the target field:
- Open the shortcut to open the Ravencoin testnet wallet.
Linux / Mac:
- Open a terminal
- Other (closed source) mining software:
1. TT-Miner, 1% dev fee.
2. GMiner, 2% dev fee.
3. T-Rex Miner, 1% dev fee.
4. Z-Enemy Miner, 1% dev fee.
- NVIDIA + AMD:
5. NBMiner, 2% dev fee.
7. Nanominer, 1% dev fee.
6. Cudominer, variable fees
- GPU reference numbers:
For pool owners and developers:
- KAWPOW stratum implementation for nodejs based pools:
- Internal hashing mechanism: