Podcrypt Alpha is live now: podcrypt.app
A big thank you to everyone who has supported the project so far! 30 days after we reached the initial validation goal of getting 100 members into the Telegram group, the alpha version is now released.
This is the first release to move off of the test network and allow for transactions on the Ethereum main network. No more play money! This is for real.
If you’re curious to know more about Podcrypt’s original vision, check out the introductory article.
This is an alpha release, and thus it has a minimal feature set. I’m hoping to gather a lot of feedback and learn from you what to implement next. Here’s some of what’s supported so far:
- Streaming any audio podcast with an RSS feed
- Searching for podcasts by term or RSS feed URL
- Basic playlist
- Basic subscriptions
- Basic podcast and episode overviews
- Verification status for podcasts (if there is a valid Ethereum address in the podcast description, it is verified). Click to see an example of a verified podcast
- Wallet with balance shown in USD and ETH
- Configurable payout target and interval
- Automatically or manually donate to verified podcasts based strictly on time listened
- Fixed donation back to Podcrypt, 10% of payout target
- Episode addressability (click a link to an episode and it will add it to your playlist automatically): https://podcrypt.app/playlist?feedUrl=http://unconfirmed.libsyn.com/rss&episodeGuid=2b1c1b95b0d1449db43a61f9e37689df
- Configurable payouts per podcast and Podcrypt (turn donations off, change percentage to pay out, change value per unit of time)
- Better offline and background experience
- Download episodes
- Beautiful UI on all form factors (especially improving the desktop experience)
- Purchase ETH directly from within Podcrypt with a debit card
Get podcasters on board
Remember to reach out to your favorite podcasters to get them verified so the donations can start flowing. It’s very simple to get verified. All a podcaster has to do is put their Ethereum address into their podcast’s main description. Done.
For starters, I would love to get the following podcasts verified:
- Off the Chain
- Into the Ether
- The Third Web
- POV Crypto Podcast
- Analysis in Chains
And many more! I need your help to do it though. You can reach out on your own, or if you click on the unverified label of a podcast in Podcrypt, it will bring you to a screen with the podcast’s email address (if defined in the RSS feed) and an example email, like so. Thanks everyone.