How You Can Make Changemaker Summit ’17 A Reality
And The Story of Purpose Behind Changemaker Summit
If you’re pressed for time, jump to the “How You Can Help” section.
INSPIRED BY IMPACTFUL EVENTS
Have you ever heard of a dance marathon? They are some of the largest events for youth impact in the world. Dance Marathons are annual events usually held in universities across America. Participants dance from 12–24 hours straight to raise thousands and sometimes millions of dollars for local children’s hospitals. The event represents one generation fighting for the next. That’s why each dance marathon is #FTK (For The Kids).
Five years ago, I was so inspired by these dance marathons that I decided to try my hand at starting one at my high school. My interest in childhood Type 1 Diabetes gave me a focus for the first Diabetes Dance Marathon (luckily I’ve gotten a bit better at web design since then!)
The biggest lesson I learned from DDM (and honestly every other big event I’ve organized) is that your volunteer team is everything. To pull off the big day, dance marathons are run by multiple teams who see to every detail before, during, and after the event. The behind the scenes of an event is pure chaos, but a good volunteer team is the calm in the storm. Teammates are the ones who can celebrate each other’s small wins, joke when things get stressful, and keep going despite massive obstacles.
Every year I am always the most moved by the effort and support given by volunteers. The team looks out for each other, makes decisions with the team in mind, and learns in real time what it takes to be a great leader.
WHAT IS CHANGEMAKER SUMMIT?
Changemaker Summit is a three-day gathering of Under 30 Changemakers from around the world. Our “Misfit Millennials” choose to live deliberate, intentional lives of impact. Some Changemakers choose to live on A Dollar A Day and share their experience with the world, others are using Artificial Intelligence in Medical Epidemiology to discover where diseases will spread before an outbreak. The event equips Changemakers with the tools, skills, and peer support needed to amplify their impact.
You can read more about our Changemaker stories in this year’s Stories of Purpose: Second Edition book, detailing stories of over 50 Changemakers who answer the question: Why do you do what you do? You can download our excerpt for free on our first chapter, Adversity.
You can learn more about this year’s event programming in my latest Medium post.
HOW YOU CAN HELP US MAKE THE SUMMIT A REALITY
Volunteer for 2017 Changemaker Summit
Every volunteer works on a committee from now until the Summit in September putting in 3–5 hours of teamwork per week. We are also looking for Committee Chairs who can direct their team toward completing their month’s mission driving us closer to a successful Summit.
Have questions? We can put you in contact with a previous volunteer to learn about their experience.
Here is our full outline of each committee and their responsibilities.
Can’t commit the time?
There are a multitude of ways you can still support the Summit without being on a committee. Here are just a few:
- Introductions to experienced coaches and facilitators living in NYC. We are looking for facilitators and coaches who can volunteer their time to lead intensive, hands-on workshops. In exchange for their time and efforts, we will provide online and offline promotion before and after the event. A social impact and peer-to-peer teaching background is a plus.
- Connections to potential social impact sponsors. Make an intro via email to a potential sponsor you know personally. We’re looking for sponsors are looking for involvement beyond promotion and branding, but more of an impact-driven, longterm relationship affecting the lives of young social entrepreneurs. We would like sponsors to believe in the personal and professional empowerment of Changemakers by providing the tools, skills, and emotional supportive that is needed.
- Invite other friends to volunteer. Send them our committees document and tell them why you think they’d be a great fit. Volunteers don’t have to be in Under 30 Changemakers, but they do have to have an interest and passion for social innovation.
- Nominate a friend to join Under 30 Changemakers. While our tickets are capped at 250 this year, we always need help recruiting social innovators who can bring a refreshing perspective to the table.
- Sponsor a Changemaker to attend. We are opening up an inclusivity fund this year for those experiencing hardship from major debt to disability who have limited or no outside financial support. While we believe that Changemaker Summit is a wise investment in your future, we want to include Changemakers at all income levels. Please email us if you are interested in covering a worthy candidate’s ticket, flight, or housing cost.
- Host Changemakers in NYC from September 7–10. We need housing for volunteers and attendees to rest and chill out. If you or a close friend have a place with room to house Changemakers in NYC, please get in touch and we can arrange the time. Changemakers are pretty amazing people to get to know, so fill out this form so we know which one to match you with.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN FOR CHANGEMAKER SUMMIT ’17 SEPTEMBER 8–10 (FRIDAY TO SUNDAY) IN NYC! BE THE FIRST TO SNAG OUR SUPER EARLY BIRD TICKETS AND SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR SCHOLARSHIP.