The State of Plasma
We at akomba.com are gearing up to be able to design and deploy plasma chains for our clients. part of the process is that we collect interesting links that help us (and hopefully others) to learn more about this technology.
This is the first collection. We plan to issue a new one every week.
What is Plasma?
Plasma can provide real scalability for ethereum applications. In other words:
Plasma is an application-specific sidechain protocol.
You can deploy your own blockchain, that is designed for your application. You can chose the consensus mechanism, the speed, the number of nodes, the features, pretty much everything.
Your chain will connect to Ethereum, inheriting its security and accountability. Your chain will be a sidechain.
This setup is the best of both worlds: From one part, it frees you from having to deal with securing your chain. For that, you can depend on the layer 1 chain.
From the other side, you can design your sidechain to match your needs.
Plasma is not an implementation. It’s a protocol, or a set of guidelines. As long as you follow the specifications, your sidechain will be plasma.
This weeks’ links. Since this is the first issue, we will list some older ones as well.
- The original whitepaper by Vitalik Buterin and Joseph Poon
- http://www.learnplasma.org/ — a great collection of information
- Plasma in 10 minutes
- Plasma Implementers call videos — 70% heavy math and 30% goofing. Bleeding edge information source.
- Plasma Chain, Game Chain, Social Chain — Loom Network is killing it with Plasma. Very impressive.
- Plasma Debit, Simplified — A clear and concise description of plasma debit by Eric Olszewski
- Plasma EVM — Running smart contracts on a plasma network! Currently being researched, but will be inevitably needed.
- Plasma Bridge — Another research project. Will definitely need a Plasma EVM…
If you have any other interesting links or information, please contact me at email@example.com or at @akomba on twitter.