Beam Wallet for iOS is out on Mainnet!
April 22, 2019
The long-awaited Beam Mobile Wallet for iOS is now available for free on the App Store. We can proudly say that we have finally brought the Beam Wallets to all the major desktop and mobile platforms. Now, Beam financial sovereignty built on Mimblewimble is available literally anytime and anywhere.
The Mainnet iOS Wallet is beautiful, easy-to-use and packed with features.
To note a few:
- Complete send and receive Beam functionality
- Full support for QR codes (can be scanned from another Mobile wallet or Beam Desktop Wallet)
- Payment Proof - a cryptographically secure way to prove that a certain transaction really occurred. More details here.
- Optional password protection for every sent transaction for the more cautious.
The source code for this release is available on our Github here.
In order to make sure that our code meets the best security practices, we performed a security audit with Rebz.net.
The work isn’t finished - there are several new features that we are working on and that are already available for testing in the Testnet Wallet:
- Biometric identification (Face ID or Touch ID, depending on your device) for secure and no-hassle operation
- Security mode - ability to hide your balances and transaction history from the screen. Very useful if you are together with a person and want to send them some Beams, but don’t want them to know how much funds you have.
- Export of transaction history to a CSV file
- Ability to choose a specific node to work with (in the first release the iOS wallet connects to a random node)
Once we are done testing those, we will roll them out in the next iOS update.
As usual, we welcome community feedback and suggestions. If you haven’t done so already, go to the App Store and install Beam Mobile Wallet for iOS now!
Bright Boson 126.96.36.199, iOS — Release Notes
Release date: 22 Apr 2019
- This is the first official Beam Mainnet wallet version for iOS
- All devices running iOS 11.0 and higher
Known limitations and workarounds
- When sending beams from mobile to desktop wallet, the QR code scanning works from desktop wallet version 2.0
- The app will always choose a random node to connect to; connecting to a specific node will be added later.
- Restore flow (which requires integrated or dedicated node) is currently implemented on desktop only, hence to restore mobile funds use a desktop wallet with the same seed the mobile wallet was created with.
- In case the user has both mobile and desktop wallets which are using the same seed phrase, the funds sent to the desktop wallet won’t appear on the mobile wallet. If the desktop wallet is running a local node, it will see funds sent to both wallets. The reason is that the local node (integrated into the desktop wallet) always monitors the blockchain for UTXOs related to the seed of the wallet. The mobile wallet does not run a local node and thus can only monitor transactions sent to its specific SBBS addresses. Of course, no funds will be lost in any event.
- If multiple wallets are restored from the same seed phrase, transaction history and addresses will not be shared among the wallets.
Release notes on Github
Become a Beam Ambassador: Submit your application
Bitcoin Talk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5052151