Word on the BLOCK: 15th February
Hello everybody and welcome to the third Blocknet newsletter update of 2018! This newsletter is released twice per month to keep the community up to date on what is happening with Blocknet. You can view the previous newsletters here.
- Coming on March 1st will be the much-anticipated decentralized exchange beta launch. The DEX dapp is an Electron app and will support Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can view specific OS support here.
- A form has been created to streamline the process of checking coins for compatibility. We encourage the community to share the form with their favorite projects. Don’t forget to mention there is no listing fee to be added to the DEX!
- Rocket Chat and Slack were officially closed on February 12th. If you have not done so yet, please join us on Discord with the rest of the community. We’d love to see everyone there!
- Resolutions for bugs in the new anti-spam orderbook verification system are being implemented.
- The DX API is currently being refactored to match the latest spec.
- The DX UI Electron app development is on track and scheduled for release on March 1st.
- The testnet has been scaled out to conduct extensive testing on the API.
- Development has begun on a smart address selector for the trading library to automatically select the best address to take funds from in order to minimize the generated change amount.
- Community fund approvers voted to reallocate 10,000 BLOCK from the Bounty Fund to the Marketing Fund.
- VSA recently held a Community Survey to gather community feedback for help in the visual development of the Blocknet DX branding. By branding, we are talking about conveying the story and meaning of the Blocknet DX through its visual language. This branding effort for the decentralized exchange will help position the Blocknet DX as the premier, decentralized exchange in the world. The survey closed on February 12th and the input provided will help shape a unique brand position for the Blocknet DX.
- The Blocknet core team is meeting with VSA on February 19th at their Chicago office to review and discuss the latest DX branding developments.
- The introductory Blocknet video Bob and Mav are developing is now 85% complete. Outstanding items include a few more scenes to animate, final edits/tweaks, and finalizing the audio.
- The Blocknet Marketing Plan (our first milestone for the year!) was released on February 1st.
- The blocknetprotocol.com informational site has been updated to include graphics and more recent information.
- A number of guides have been created by the community:
- Install & Backup Guide — Created by @mbhc.
- Coin Control Guide — Created by @mbhc.
- Connect Xbridge VM to Wallet Host VM — Created by @aderks.
- Creating Simple Windows Batch Scripts — Created by @aderks.
- For Superblock 259200, there were a total of 3 proposals submitted to the network for voting. In order for a proposal to pass, it must have a majority in favor and at least 10% of Service Nodes must have voted for that proposal in either direction or abstained. At the time of the Superblock there were 403 Service Nodes meaning each proposal required a minimum of 41 votes. The results of this Superblock are as follows:
- XBridge Team — Yeas: 112, Nays: 0, Abstains: 0 — PASSED.
- Core Team — Yeas: 112, Nays: 0, Abstains: 0 — PASSED.
- Euro Team — Yeas: 111, Nays: 0, Abstains: 0 — PASSED.
- So far 189 coins have been addressed. (17 additions since last newsletter) 50 are currently finalized (32 unannounced, 18 announced) The 18 announced are:
Bitcoin (BTC) | Blocknet (BLOCK) | Dash (DASH) | DigiByte (DGB) | Dogecoin (DOGE) | Dynamic (DYN) | Faircoin (FAIR) | LBRY Credits (LBC) | Litecoin (LTC) | Monacoin (MONA) | MonetaryUnit (MUE) | Namecoin (NMC) | PIVX (PIVX) | Qtum (QTUM) | SysCoin (SYS) | Vertcoin (VTC) | Viacoin (VIA) | XCurrency (XC)
- A constantly updated list of compatible coins can be founds here.
- 115 coins are in progress for error resolution + finalization. (17 additions since last newsletter.)
- In addition 12 coins are being reviewed for possible custom integration. (1 addition since last newsletter.)
- 158 different coins have had orders placed on the DEX. (14 additions since last newsletter.)
The price of BLOCK is currently at $36.86 (0.00364061 BTC) at time of writing.
- Circulation: 5,016,016
- Market Cap + Ranking: $184.9M USD | 18,261 BTC | Rank 104
- Current wallet: v3.7.36
- Block height: 272589
- 397 Service Nodes are currently active.
- 1,228,520 staked coins are currently active.
- The APR 7-day average for Service Nodes is currently at 20.71% and for staking it is currently 16.21%.
- Lockup percentage from community funds and Service Nodes: 45.52%
- Blocknet is also on MasterNodedPro.com; Stats can be viewed here.
- The “Understanding a Decentralized Exchange” article has been released on Medium and Steemit.
- Work has begun on a new article focusing on the need for interoperability and how Blocknet will be addressing this.
- The new Blocknet website redesign is underway. The new design will make Blocknet more understandable to the everyday user.
- Blocknet now has a presence on the minds.com social media platform as their philosophy is a good fit for Blocknet. You can read more about them here.
- The Telegram channel has surpassed the 1000 member milestone!
- Social Media and Websites: Website / Protocol Website / Discord / Twitter / Medium / Telegram / Reddit / Steemit / Newsletter / Facebook / Minds / BitcoinTalk / Proposal Forum
Many thanks for reading. We hope that you are excited as us with what the future holds for Blocknet. A decentralization project fundamentally requires an engaged community, and so if you would like to help with anything, having something to add, use your professional skills or have a problem, we want to know about it.
Please also be aware that a community project is run by a diverse group of people with varying time-constraints (in a number of time-zones) and personal lives, so remember to be kind and patient!
If you want to be the first see these updates, you can receive the newsletters directly to your email by subscribing here. Our next update is due on February 28th. Until then we look forward to hearing from you.
The Blocknet Team.