Ethereum Cat Herders Update #29
Medalla data challenge, YOLOv2 proposals, Peep an EIP, EIP-1559, breakout-room, hackathon, Gitcoin grant, and other community updates
Welcome to another edition of the Ethereum Cat Herders community update to bring you up to the speed since the last update.
Ethereum All Core Developers meeting
This item was proposed by Alexey. He said that by observing transactions, it looks like an order book, where people bid for the gas prices. Low bid orders are there to scoop the dips. However, in exchanges, you can cancel orders at no cost. But, in Ethereum, you can send another transaction to yourself at a higher gas, or spam the pool so much that it takes it out. About CHI token, he said that Chi tokens only consumed 10% of all gas consumed and can’t be blamed for sustained high gas prices.
This EIP is already marked in EFI. Piper Merriam and Micah Zoltu gave an overview of 2718. Lightclient is working on the implementation. It may be best to have 2718 not bundled with other EIPs to get it released without much complexity. This will be a part of YOLOv2. The Ethereum Cat Herders facilitated a breakout session to discuss this proposal for the ephemeral testnet. Participate in the discussion at EthMagician thread.
EIP-2929: Gas cost increases for state access opcodes
The summary of the proposal EIP-2929 states “increases gas cost for SLOAD, *CALL, BALANCE, EXT* and SELFEDESTRUCT when used for the first time in a transaction.” The main motivation of this proposal is mainly to fight back against potential DoS attacks and to have opcode execution time line up with gas prices better. Alexey said this EIP introduces a read list. Earlier there was only a write list. Hudson suggested continuing this discussion in the breakout room. This EIP is superseding EIP-2046 and is considered for YOLO v2.
EIP-2930: Optional access lists
EIP-2930 adds a transaction type which contains an access list, a list of addresses and storage keys that the transaction plans to access. Accesses outside the list are possible but become more expensive. Vitalik mentioned that this proposal would help minimize the number of things breaking due to gas cost changes and is a potential companion to EIP-2929.
EIP-2935: Save historical block hashes in state
This EIP Store historical block hashes in a contract, and modify the
BLOCKHASH (0x40) opcode to read this contract. For L2 protocols, it would be easier to provide historical information to users with this protocol. Part of YOLO v2.
EIP-1057: ProgPoW, a Programmatic Proof-of-Work
Greg Colvin gave an update. He mentioned that they don’t believe that Kik exploit could be exploited in the wild. Also, ASICs should start falling off the network around November because of the DAG size.
EIP-2938: Account Abstraction
The Quilt team has published a case study on the potential DoS vectors of the EIP on Geth and Vitalik has made some updates to the EIP.
EIP-1559: Fees market change
Tim Beiko provided the update on the 1559 implementers call.
- There is a testnet for Besu and Geth clients from Vulcanize.
- EF is doing some simulations on the EIP.
- The formal analysis will be done by a game theorist.
- The next steps will be to get more client implementations and have proof of work testnet.
- Based on the discussion on the implementers' meeting, a questionnaire is created to collect feedback on EIP-1559 implementation form miners, wallets, exchange, infrastructure providers, or on-chain application. Contact Tim Beiko (email@example.com) and me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like to set up a meeting for any question/comment/concern related to the implementation.
AllCoreDevs Gitter has moved to Discord.
In the ACD meeting, Hudson mentioned the suggestion of a breakout room for overflow discussion on EIPs to be facilitated by the Ethereum Cat Herders. In the first meeting, EIP-2718 with other EIPs considered for YOLOv2 were discussed. Agenda and summary of meeting #1.
The second meeting concluded today. Agenda and summary.
Join Eth R&D discord #breakout-room to participate in active discussion.
Ethereum 1.0 clients’ update
- go-ethereum — Tavum (v1.9.21)
- turbo-geth — v2020.09.02-alpha
- OpenEthereum Devs Sync Meeting 10 #7
- Vision for OpenEthereum (ex-Parity client) by Marcelo Ruiz de Olano
- Introduction to Nethermind Discovery Protocol
- The Eth2 Medalla Data Challenge: Up until 20 October 2020, the Ethereum Foundation is sponsoring a Medalla data analysis and data visualization blog-post challenge.
- Nimbus client update and a Guide to Staking on Nimbus
- Prysmatic client update — Mainnet release public checklist
- ETH2.0: Everything You Need to Know by MyCrypto
EIPIP working group
- A proposed EIP process overhaul from axic.
- EIPIP meeting #16: Agenda, video, notes.
- The next meeting is scheduled for Sep 23rd.
Ethereum Cat Herders
- EIP-2666 in five slides with Alexander Vlasov
- EIP-2537: BLS12–381 curve operations with Alexander Vlasov
- EIP-1571: EthereumStratum/2.0.0 with Andrea Lanfranchi
- EIP-173: Contract ownership standard by Nick Mudge.
- EIP-2535: Diamond Standard
- EIP-2848: My Own Messages (MOM)
- EIP-2565: Repricing of the EIP-198 ModExp precompile
- Follow EIP scheduled at ECH GitHub. If you have any questions related to a proposal, or you want to join a talk with the author, reach me on Twitter.
- Ethereum Cat Herder Meeting #41: Agenda, video, notes.
- The next meeting is scheduled for Sep 15th. Agenda
- Gitcoin Grants Round 7 starts September 15th.
- EF Q2 Allocation Update
- ETHPlanet Virtual Hackathon
- ETHOnline hackathon and summit
- Yearn Finance Newsletter #2
- Chef Nomi #SushiSwap returned 32k in ETH
Support the Ethereum Cat Herders
- We’re moving to Discord as the main communication channel. Join us at ECH Discord.
- Join the decentralized project management team by submitting the ECH onboarding form.
- Share yours ❤️ with the Cat Herders at Gitcoin CLR. We accept all tokens!
- Follow the Ethereum Cat Herders at Website, GitHub, Twitter, Reddit, Medium, and Gitter.
Share your question, comments, and suggestions with me on Twitter. Thank you for reading 🙏.
— The Ethereum Cat Herders