A State Divided: Oregon and Oregon State Prepare for Annual ‘Civil War’
Less than 50 miles separate №3 Oregon and №9 Oregon State so it is only right that their rivalry is called the Civil War. The last time the two teams met, №18 Beavers lost 75–63 to №7 Oregon, the first Civil War loss for Oregon State since 2011.
When the two teams meet on Friday, Feb. 15, one of our Top 5 games, it will be a battle. Oregon ranks second in our HHS ranking and Oregon State ranks tenth. Thankfully for the fans, they meet again three days later on Monday, Feb. 18 in a game that will be shown nationally on ESPN2.
Things to look out for:
This one is a little bit obvious: Oregon can score.
- Oregon has scored more than 100 points in five games this season. The Ducks haven’t scored fewer than 72 points in a game this season and that was in a 72–52 win over UCLA.
- Oregon is first in the country in Offensive Efficiency, 125 points per 100 possessions, and scoring efficiency, 1.25 points per scoring attempt (PPSA).
- The ducks are third in the country in margin of victory per possession at 37 points per 100 possessions.
Oregon can shoot
- The Ducks are also first in both three-point and two-point percentages at 44% and 57% respectively.
The Ducks don’t beat themselves
- They are first in low turnover rate, turning the ball over on just 13% of their plays.
- They are second in foul rate, fouling on just 18% of opponent possessions.
Oregon State can score as well
- The Beavers are seventh in the country in margin of victory per possession at 29.3 Points Per 100 Possessions.
- Oregon State is third in PPSA averaging 1.17 points each time they try to shoot (including when fouled).
Watch out for Oregon State on the defensive glass
- The Beavers are fifth in the country in Def Reb Rate, they get the board on 75% of opponent misses. Limiting Oregon’s second chance opportunities will be key.
Oregon State won’t turn the ball over
- The Beavers commit just 12.5 turnovers per game, 14th in the country.
- Oregon State is eighth in assist to turnover rate at 1.39.
The Beavers also don’t foul
- Oregon State is fifth in low foul rate, committing a foul on 19% of opponent possessions.
Players to look out for:
Sabrina Ionescu (obviously)
- She assists on 37% of her teammate’s baskets when on the floor, 20th in D1. She’s 19th in assist to turnover ratio at 3.12.
- She also is a volume scorer, finishing 27% of plays when on the floor with a field goal attempt, free throw attempt, or turnover. That’s top 10% of D1.
- She’s directly involved in about two-thirds of Oregon plays when on the floor, a remarkable number.
- She’s also top 10% in efficiency averaging 1.15 PPSA.
- Hebard is fourth in the country in scoring efficiency averaging an amazing 1.41 PPSA. That’s like shooting 70% on 2s only and never getting fouled. Simply amazing.
- Hebard is in the top 5% of D1 in both Offensive and Defensive Rebound Rate.
- She gets an offensive board on 14% of Duck misses when on the floor and a defensive rebound on 24% of opponent misses when on the floor.
- Cazorla is 19th in scoring efficiency averaging 1.33 PPSA (it’s like of 66% on 2s only).
- 42% from deep is top 10% in D1, and she’s shooting 65% on 2s which is in the top 1%.
- 38th in scoring efficiency averaging 1.29 PPS (it’s equivalent to making of 64% of 2s only).
- She’s doing it a high volume too which is impressive, finishing 27% of plays similar to Ionescu (top 10%).
- 46% from deep (top 2%) and 56% from 2P range (top 10%).
- 13th in the country in assist rate. She gets an assist on 39% of her teammates’ baskets when on the floor.
- Slocum finishes 33% of plays when she’s on the floor with an FGA, FTA, or TOV.
- That means she’s directly involved in 72% of Oregon State plays when she’s on the floor, nearly three-quarters.
- She’s in the top 5% of D1 in scoring efficiency at 1.21 PPSA.
- 27% of Pivec’s points have come at the line during conference play, 6th in the conference.
- She is 42nd in the country at assist to turnover rate at 2.5. That’s top 2% of D1.
With two games in four days, just sit back and enjoy the action!
If you like this content, please support our work at Her Hoop Stats by subscribing for just $20 a year. All stats were obtained from Her Hoop Stats as of games through February 12th.