The tools we use now in JS make fancy IDE autocomplete look like a baby chew toy.
It’s a candidate’s market, and that won’t change in the foreseeable future.
4. Why Hiring is So Hard in Tech
If you don’t understand prototypes,
6. 5 Questions Every Unit Test Must Answer
Every developer knows we should write unit tests in order to prevent defects from being deployed to production. What most developers don’t know are the essential ingredients of every unit test. I can’t begin to count the number of times I’ve seen a unit test fail, only to investigate and discover that I have absolutely no idea what feature the developer was trying to test, let alone how it went wrong or why it matters.
7. What is WebAssembly? The Dawn of a New Era
What is wasm? Why should you care? What will it do for us? This post covers those questions in detail, and points you in the right direction if you want to learn more. Wasm is not final, yet, but there are working game prototypes, and there’s already a lot to learn about why this is an important development for the web platform — and why you may want to brush up on your C++ & lisp skills while we wait for wasm to become a widely implemented recommendation.
8. The Single Biggest Mistake Programmers Make Every Day
A simple tweet leads to some profound learning. This post breaks it down and presents lots of concrete ways to be a more effective developer — and make fewer mistakes in the process.
9. How to Build a High Velocity Development Team
I’ve spent years leading development teams. This post is a brain dump encompassing decades of hard-won experience and wisdom. If you want to build a high velocity development team, this is a must read.
10. Why I Use Tape Instead of Mocha and So Should You
Software testing is an essential part of application development. Tape simplifies the process dramatically.
- React officially arrived. In June we predicted that React may be poised to steal mindshare from Angular. That trend played out in a big way throughout the rest of 2015, and I am confidently predicting that the trend will continue into 2016, barring major changes in Angular’s strategy going forward. Angular may hold onto dominance for a while, but it looks like React will eclipse it soon.
- WebAssembly was announced. WebAssembly is a major development for the web platform. At first it will bring more AAA games to the web platform. In that capacity, it will dramatically reduce install and load times for in-browser games. Eventually, it may pave the way for many more media productivity applications such as in-browser music workstations, video editors, and so on.
He spends most of his time in the San Francisco Bay Area with the most beautiful woman in the world.