10 Fellowship Programs for Social Innovators.
What is Social Innovation?
A recent research paper from Grisolia and Ferragina (2015) gives the following definition to the term:
“New ideas (products, services and models) that simultaneously meet social needs and create new social relationships or collaborations.”
Phills (2009) defines social innovation as:
“Any novel and useful solution to a social need or problem, that is better than existing approaches (i.e., more effective, efficient, sustainable, or just) and for which the value created (benefits) accrues primarily to society as a whole rather than private individuals.”
Also, Mulgan (2008) uses the following description for social innovation:
“Innovative activities and services that are motivated by the goal of meeting a social need and that are predominantly developed and diffused through organizations whose primary purposes are social.”
However you decide to define the term, social innovation is the need of the hour and as a world citizen, you have a responsibility. A responsibility for the effects that your work can have on people, on society or even on the world.
Social innovation fellowships supports people from various sectors with the drive to create better lives for all. If you’re one of the innovators who understand your responsibility, then below mentioned fellowships are surely a great way to start a career in change making.
1. IDEX Global Fellowship Deadline : October 1
2. Kiva Fellowship Deadline : TBD for 2017 class
3. Wild Gift Fellowship Deadline : January 1, 2017
4. Global Health Corps Deadline : February 2, 2017
5. Echoing Green Fellowship Deadline : October 2016 (Exact date TBD)
6. Baltimore Corp Fellowship Deadline : TBD
7. Ashoka Fellowship Deadline : On rolling basis
8. Acumen Global Fellows Deadline : November 1
9. Teach For India Deadline : August 30
10. PopTech Social Innovation Fellows Program Deadline : March 2017
11. Piramal Fellowship for Sustainable Business. Deadline September.
12. Skadden Legal Fellowship Program. Deadline October.
13. Kiva Fellowship. Apply by October.
Also, if you missed our #Groupinar on “Design & Technology For Social Change” you can now access the recording of the event on our YouTube channel. Feel free to share it with your friends if you find the discussion helpful. https://youtu.be/1wE_bnso05A