Writing a GraphQL TypeScript project w/ GraphQL-Modules and GraphQL-Code-Generator
Last year we’ve released GraphQL-Modules — which applies modular approach to large scale, GraphQL-based applications.
We’ve also released a new version of GraphQL Code Generator which generates server-side typings and signatures for resolvers from GraphQL Schemas.
Those are two separate projects, but because we use both in production across many different applications, we wanted to write about the benefits of the tight integration of those projects and how it provides us with great development experience while implementing our projects in TypeScript.
GraphQL Code Generator can take a JS/TS export from GraphQL-Modules to generate server-side typings (or anything else that its plugins can generate). So, let’s export typeDefs without any business logic that includes resolvers, DI, providers etc…
You can create a
schema.ts file to expose
typeDefs to GraphQL Code Generator:
codegen.yml config file, including
schema.ts as a schema source, and generate common and server typings for TypeScript.
transpile-only to prevent errors related to TypeScript on typing generation phase to let
ts-node handle this on running the actual application.
We can add a script to
package.json to run:
Then, we can use these typings in our project. This example shows a resolvers handler that implements resolvers for
Query type with generated types.
At the end, we have a strictly-typed backend project, based of separate feature modules, and each of those modules uses GraphQL and TypeScript.
You can check our working example that is created by using this approach;
All posts about GraphQL Modules
- GraphQL Modules — Feature based GraphQL Modules at scale
- Why is True Modular Encapsulation So Important in Large-Scale GraphQL Projects?
- Why did we implement our own Dependency Injection library for GraphQL-Modules?
- Scoped Providers in GraphQL-Modules Dependency Injection
- Writing a GraphQL TypeScript project w/ GraphQL-Modules and GraphQL-Code-Generator
- Authentication and Authorization in GraphQL (and how GraphQL-Modules can help)
- Authentication with AccountsJS & GraphQL Modules
- Manage Circular Imports Hell with GraphQL-Modules