Digital Nomads — Work anywhere and live everywhere
Home is where I work and I work everywhere. – Alfred Nobel
What are Digital Nomads?
They are individuals that leverage digital technologies to do their work and more generally, conduct their life in a nomadic manner. They typically work remotely from home, coffee shops, public libraries. They can work from everywhere where they have access to the internet. In short they earn a living while working online from everywhere.
The video below shows you a preview of a documentary with different examples of living as a digital nomad
What skills do you need?
You don’t need to have the best programming skills or social media skills. Already knowing how to type and work with a PC would be enough to get started. This allows you to work from anywhere within few weeks and start a simple remote job.
Advantages of this lifestyle
- You can hack life – In these days, life is no longer restricted to the classic story of living your entire life in one place and taking over the family business. Internet and the devices to use it are great tools to help the world connect, but also expand the idea of what a “normal life” looks like
- You make the rules – There is no one for you to answer except yourself. You decide how much you will work, what projects to work on, where to work from, when to leave one destination for another, where to stay once you arrive and so on… You decide it all.
- No set hours – Your work can be continuous or intermittent. During the times when you are not working, you can take the local culture.
- People you meet – You will meet so many new peoples. They will be locals, travelers or other Digital Nomads.
- Learn to live with less – It’s liberating to reduce the amount of things you think you need. Most important are passports, laptops, smartphones.
- See the world – You will see the different places with your own eyes and have more time instead of only few weeks like just as a traveler or like you are on vacation
There will be 1 billion digital nomads by 2035
Pieter Levels, who created Nomad List, a site which shows the best places to live and work for digital nomads and the generation wanderlust, did a presentation on the future of digital nomads (and remote workers) in the next 20 years. His quest was also to launch 12 startups in 12 months.
What could make this growth possible
- More freelancers
- 6G, 6th generation telephony
- Marrying less. More relationships
- Decreasing of home ownership
- Lower prices for flight tickets
- Shorter flight times
- Cheaper internet
Watch the full presentation below
More posts from ronatory:
- Elon Musk — The man who will change the future
- Growth Hacking — We are hacked every day
- Time — The most valuable asset
- Snapchat — The most important app to reach millennials
- Virtual Reality — It will affect us all in the future
- Drapped — From idea to an iOS game in few hours
- Y Combinator — Why most successful Startups come from Silicon Valley
- Privacy is completely dead — YOLO