Flourless Chocolate-Orange Almond Cake
I’ve never baked chocolate cakes before, but as I already had a good experience with levender New York-style cheesecake, Portuguese cheesecake and orange cake, Brazilian carrot cake, and simple apple pies, I decided that I can try. Moreover, it’s flourless, that means it’s light and healthy for Sunday brunch.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 big orange
- 1 baking chocolate bar
- 4 oz of butter
- 1/4 cup of ground almonds
- 1/4 cup of almond chips
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp of sugar
- pinch of salt
Step by step
- Boil the whole orange (with peel skin and all) for 90 minutes, let it chill, then cut it on pieces and blend.
- Melt butter and chocolate and then cool them down.
- Whisk yolks with 3/4 cup of sugar, salt, orange puree, ground almonds, cocoa, and butter with chocolate in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold whites into chocolate batter in 3 additions.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan. The cake will easily slide out every time.
- Transfer the batter to prepared pan. Top with almond chips.
- Preheat oven to 360°F. Bake it for 30–40 minutes.
Serve it with berries and ice-cream to your taste! For this morning I choose blackberries & mint gelato.
I enjoyed the taste and texture of this cake, and will definitely cook it again for various occasions.