All You Need to Know About British
Airways Delayed and Cancelled Flights
If your BA flight gets delayed or cancelled, you may be entitled to compensation of up to 600€ (or £530), for flight delays of more than 3 hours, or cancellations without prior notice of at least 14 days, or for denied boarding due to overbooking, under EU Regulation 261/2004
Do you know which of the airlines is the most reliable in the United Kingdom? Without doubts, this is British Airways. More than 270 strong fleets of aircraft and operations in more than 180 airports. However, even they have flight delays or cancellations from time to time.
On the one hand, you should know your rights as an air passenger perfectly. On the other side, there is a more comfortable way to find out your eligibility. We offer you our free online calculator which is quickly and simply in use.
British Airways Compensation for Delayed Flight for You
- Up to €600 compensation according to EU legislation
- British Airways compensation can be got for flights up to 6 years old
- The ticket price does not matter
- If your flight was delayed for more than 3 hours, cancelled or overbooked
What Should You Do If You Have Your Flight Delayed?
- Contact the airline to get information about the reason for the delay
- The essential benefits and services at the airport should be kept
- You need to have information about your expenses
- It could be useful to get contacts of the other passengers from the delayed flight
Read more about the EU legislation and your passenger rights
British Airway flight delay compensation depends on the distance of your trip, the delay time and the reason for the delay. The price of your ticket does not matter. As a rule, if your flight is delayed for 3 hours and more you should have a refund according to EU laws. All you need to do is filling the British Airways compensation claim. Moreover, it could be valid up to 6 years retrospectively.
British Airways: What Should the Airport Provide to You?
Your rights are protected by international legislation. However, the opportunities you can get depend on the time of delay and the length of the flight. Some basic rules about your eligibility you can find below:
- Short distance, under 1500 km: 2 hours and more delay, complimentary drinks, food, and 2 calls, emails or faxes
- Medium length, between 1500–3500 km: 3 hours and more delay — complimentary beverages, food and 2 calls, emails or faxes
- Long-haul, from 3500 km: 4 hours and more delay, complimentary drinks, food, and 2 calls, emails or faxes
What should you do if your flight is delayed more than 5 hours?
You can cancel your trip if the delay is more than 5 hours. In such a case, the airline has to provide a refund for you or to offer the other type of traveling.
What should you do if you have an overnight delay?
If you decide to wait until the next plane, the airline should provide you with accommodation in the hotel and transfer you there and back to the airport. To get the accurate information you should contact the airline and ask them to provide that commitment in writing.
Other burning questions:
- How do I claim compensation for a delayed BA flight?
If your flight is delayed/cancelled you might be able to get reimbursement for certain types of cases. The easiest way is to use AirHelp services and find out whether you are entitled according to EU regulation.
- Can I get compensation for a delayed flight?
You are entitled to a certain compensation if the delay is the responsibility from British Airways and either: the replacement flight delays your arrival by at least 2 hours or the flight was cancelled less than 2 weeks before departure
- How long can you be delayed before compensation BA?
Delay of 3 hours or more for all flights within European Union of more than 1500 km and all other flights between 1500 km and 3500 km.
- How do I get a refund from British Airways?
You can cancel your flight booking and claim a full refund without any penalties, up to 24 hours from the original booking on official website or via call centre. In case of delay or compensation use external assistance.