- Your MVP is Bloated
When you finally “launch” your MVP, you’ll probably get zero users and you’ll feel stupid for making a bloated MVP.
- What’s Your Value Prop Story?
The Value Prop Story Test is a quick and easy sanity check for a startup. It should be really easy for startups to pass the test. Yet 80% of startups fail it.
- The Lean MVP Flowchart: How to Follow the Value
The core of a startup isn’t building a product, it’s giving a person value. Here’s what that means for your MVP and for your subsequent growth.
- The Great Filter of Startups
The evolutionary leap that only a small fraction of startups manage to make
- Manhandle Your Early Users
The approach that successful founders use to break through the traction barrier
- The Bloated MVP Test
A simple 10-question test that tells you if you’ve just wasted your life on a bloated MVP
- The Power to Judge Startup Ideas
The fundamental reason why so many founders fail the Value Prop Story test is that humans suck at giving specific examples of abstract concepts.
- When Not To Be A Lean Startup
If your startup is one of the rare ones whose primary risk is technological rather than market, you can be excused for having a less lean MVP.
- AlphaSheets MVP Review
It just kept getting more bloated
- Arbital MVP Review
It should have been all about the content
- Axiom.org MVP Review
Blockchain? More like Bloatchain
- Beaker Browser MVP Review
0 use cases + 4 years of engineering = 0 users
- Dropbox Paper is a Bloated MVP
It’s unclear why to not just use Google Docs
- General Magic MVP Review
Surfing a wave, or boiling the ocean?
- Golden.com MVP Review
It’s got everything except a value prop story
- Hey.com MVP Review
They really know what they’re doing MVP-wise
- Listle (YC S19) MVP Review
A “place to listen”, but for who?
- Openland (YC W18) MVP Review
Chasing the siren song of product and engineering craftsmanship
- Reddit MVP Review
Started from the value prop story now we’re here
- Roam Research MVP Review
Pages + Bullets = Cool New Product Category
Other Stuff I’ve Written
- The Billion Dollar Homepage - Sep 2021
NFTs meet old-web nostalgia
- Chris Dixon’s Crypto Claims Are Logically Flimsy - Sep 2021
Crypto discourse has turned into the ultimate Bloated MVP
- VC Larping - Jun 2021
VCs’ job is to value companies. They should stop LARPing about “value add”, “deal flow”, and “access”.
- Where’s the Twitter of Podcasting? - Jul 2019
Someone will figure out how to make podcasts bite-sized, socially interactive, and serendipitous
- Data Denormalization Is Broken - Sep 2016
The software industry is losing $trillions/year due to the lack of a declarative denormalization paradigm
- I’m just an average guy who does Electrical Muscle Stimulation instead of going to the gym - Sep 2021
My review of the Katalyst fitness system after using it for three months
- Sample Questions for the Y Combinator Interview - Sep 2018
This is my most popular post thanks to SEO luck
- Half-Baked Products and Idea Kernels - Mar 2020
To get a quick feedback loop going, keep your ideas half-baked
- I Hate Phone Calls - Jan 2019
You don’t need to be calling me for any business reason
- Send A Complete Message, Not A Stream-Of-Consciousness Dribble - Oct 2020
The Slack DM etiquette your busy coworkers wish you’d follow
- The Truth About Being A “Detail-Oriented” Employee - May 2019
How to focus your efforts on being detail-oriented where it matters
- Startup Idea: ImproveMyLifeRightNow - Oct 2018
Proactively stalk people and pitch them ways to improve their lives
- A Simple Project Management Process - Sep 2020
How to keep track of people doing stuff you asked for