Product Decoded Interview With Justin Bauer, VP of Product at Amplitude
Season 1 | Episode 7
In the seventh episode of Product Decoded podcast, Dan Olsen, product management consultant and author of The Lean Product Playbook, interviews Justin Bauer, VP of Product at Amplitude, a software service that provides analytics to help companies understand their user behavior data and ultimately build a better product.
In this interview, Justin shares his advice on product management, being a product leader, and using analytics to improve your product. At Amplitude, he strives to make it easy for companies to make better decisions from their data. Justin is a 2x entrepreneur as well as an alumnus of McKinsey, Stanford GSB and Carleton College.
Here are the highlights:
- How Justin became passionate about using data to make better decisions for users (5:15)
- Advice for mid-level product managers: find your super-skill (6:20)
- Setting product strategy at small versus large companies (15:00)
- Common challenges product teams face with analytics (22:17)
- Retention rate is the ultimate measure of product market fit — read Amplitude’s Mastering Retention ebook (27:00)
Did you miss the first six episodes of Product Decoded? Click below to listen to:
- Ep: 1 — Deb Liu, VP of Marketplace at Facebook
- Ep. 2 — Chris Abad, VP of Product & Design at UserTesting
- Ep. 3 — Todd Yellin, VP Product at Netflix
- Ep. 4 — Aaron Levie, Founder & CEO at Box
- Ep. 5 — Michael Sippey, VP Product, Medium
- Ep. 6 — Amanda Richardson, Chief Data & Strategy Officer at HotelTonight
Spero Ventures is an early stage venture capital firm that is helping entrepreneurs build a future that belongs to everyone. Subscribe to our monthly Spero Ventures Insights newsletter here.
Product Leader Summit is a community of founders and VP Product leaders who gather together bi-annually to network and learn from one another. Subscribe to our quarterly Product Leader Summit newsletter here.