Table of Contents
Cause Medium doesn’t do a great job of it.
In the past 18 months I’ve done a fair amount of writing on topics of:
- Product Management Tactics
- Market observations
- Misc musings on life
- Weekly recaps of what I’ve learned
- Notes and write ups from events I attend
Since Medium doesn’t provide a handy way to index these pieces, or bounce around from piece to piece, I’m publishing that here.
I plan to update this index as I publish more — keep it alive!!
So, without further ado. My work:
1. Product Management Tactic-y stuff:
- What it Really Means to Bring the Donuts
How to help your teams by having a servant’s heart
- My Second Lesson in A/B Testing
A little piece of analysis advice, with a walk through on A/B testing
- #FAILURE, the system is down
Failure is an expected case. Design for it.
- Does Your App Have More Than One Message Schedule
How complicated your messaging can get if multiple teams own this within your org.
- A New Way to Disagree
You’re not right—you have an opinion. Learn how to talk to those who have a different one.
- How to Develop Your Product Intuition
One of the must-haves for product management is good product intuition, but that’s pretty tricky to define & develop. Here’s my advice on how to get started.
- How Magic: The Gathering Taught Me to Think
Not 100% related to PMing, but 100% related to the core skill—thinking!
- Project Teams, Visualized
How work actually gets done at Yammer.
- Global Metrics, Local Metrics
What to think about when you’re evaluating the success of your feature.
- Say Hello to the Edge Case Bash
One of my favorite ways to cover all your bases in a project.
- Backpacking through Product Land
What I learned about project velocity while backpacking through Death Valley National Park.
- The Management Side of Product Management
Announcement post and highlights from Episode 6 of the Clearly Product Book Club Podcast.
- So… how did you get into Product Management?
A lite tour though my career path (along with suggestions for those working to get into PM from out-of-industry.
- How to be a Killer Manager (and How I know I have the best one)
An ode to the best manager I ever had, and what I’m learning from him.
- How to “Do Coffee”
Advice on reaching out to “pick someone’s brain.”
- Context is Queen
Notes on how surrounding yourself with the right context is the best way to get a leg up in your career.
- How I Negotiated for an Additional $15,000 at Yammer
A step-by-step narrative of my salary negotiation process
- Don’t Grow Small
Why do we teach girls to focus so much on their appearance?
- Walking Home Alone
The sensation of sexual assault.
- We need a Spam Filter for Real Life — Here’s Why
The draining, demanding nature of catcalling.
- Why I Love Mindy
How “The Mindy Project” helps women break the glass ceiling of expectations.
- The Weight of Low Expectations
How expectations affect us, and how that can compound for minorities.
5. Miscellaneous musing on life:
- When the Awkward Silence Isn’t Awkward
Some notes on the delights of psychological safety in my team at Yammer.
- Untold Secrets from the Grave
Why being in the Bay Area is important for techies early in their career.
- How I Set My 2017 Goals and How I’m Doing So Far
Intense look at my intense goal setting process & progress.
- The Joys of a Good Readtreat
A montage on a four-day weekend I spent reading in the woods.
- Life without a Phone
The stress of living a gadget-obsessed life.
6. This Week I learned:
When I was trying to start writing more, I began by just writing out what I was learning every week. Really easy entry point to publishing more.
- March 4, 2016
- March 16, 2016 — Pies and Bots and My First Week at Yammer
- March 20, 2016 — Credit Card Drama and Hack Day Fun
- March 27, 2016
- April 4, 2016 — One Month at Yammer
- April 10, 2016 — Female Founder’s Conference
- May 1, 2016 — Glass Blowing and Product Urgency
- May 9, 2016 — The Sky’s the Limit!
7. Notes and recaps from events
BONUS! Elsewhere on the web:
- Episode 0 — Reading product books alone is a waste of time
- Episode 1 — The Inmates are Running the Asylum
- Episode 2 — Negotiate like the Best — Never Split the Difference
- Episode 3 — On Writing Well
- Episode 4 — Winning with Data: Part 1
- Episode 5 — Winning with Data: Part 2
- Episode 6 — High Output Mangement
- Episode 7—Crucial Conversations
Wanna see what’s next? Follow me bellow for updates on product, tech, career, gender and more!